Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Real Me

Lately I've been feeling like there are two different parts to my personality. There's the part that everyone sees, and then there's the part of me that no one knows or understands, which is the autistic part of me. The me that everyone sees is this big guy, I'm emotionally stable and very social. They don't see me as being afraid of any sort of social experiences, because I show them that I'm not.
But then there's the other part of me, the part that it the complete opposite of the me that you see. The part that is afraid of people who are in authority positions, easily scared when people are angry with him. He doesn't know how to look people in the eye, and is always afraid of being inadequate. He doesn't like confrontation, and is very easy to walk all over. People can take advantage of him, and he won't complain, even though he understands the injustice of the situation. He is afraid of offending anyone, but at the same time is incapable of pacifying everyone, and so is at a loss for what to do. He cannot look out for himself, not because he doesn't know how, but because he cares more about making other people happy than looking out for himself. Most of all, he is afraid of himself. He is afraid that he will be like he once was; unable to control his anger, violently lahing out, and unable to care for people because of the fear of being left by the people that he loves. He knows that he is a fool for not looking out for himself, but he can't go back to how he was. Even though he knows that things are not black and white he has to be extreme in either direction, because he doesn't know how to stop himself from going too far, and prefers to err on the side of himself getting hurt rather than others. There are times he feels absolutely helpless. He can't change the things that are going on unless he changes himself to be more on the aggressive side, but is afraid of going too far, and so can't change. The concept of being unable to change himself scares him, because he knows that it means people will continue to take advantage of him, or worse, be dissapointed in him because he's not doing well enough due to trying to please everyone.

I understand that most people who read this will be at a loss as to what to think, and I don't blame them, but the fact of the matter is that this timid one is my real personality. I don't display it because I know that I will get hurt, but everything you say to me is processed through that child-like personality, not through the one that people see. I know that this goes more in-depth into my personal life than a lot of people would feel comfortable with, but I've been faced with the dilemna during the last several months of not being able to interact with others in a way that is beneficial to me. If you ask me to do something I will end up doing it, and I will end up overcommitting myself and being underslept. I seem to have reverted on the inside since starting college, though my outward personality has stayed the same. I think that a large part of it has to do with being in a new environment. Change has always been hard on me, and I don't know if that will ever change. I'd imagine that as I grow more comfortable here at Drake my inner child will be less afraid, but as long as I am still getting used to things I will be terrified of doing things wrong. Even now the main thing going through my mind is the hope that I have not offended anyone by writing this note, and I think that that shows just how timid I really am. It's been really hard for me to go through this last few months, and I think the thing that has made it the hardest is just that no one has known how hard it has been, and so no one has been able to make it easier on me.

3 comments:

  1. =) Believe it or not, some of us who've know you longest do see who you are, and do care. I may give you a hard time a lot, but I think that's how our friendship has always been so it's very natural.
    The things you write about as being you, are completely natural, and I believe everyone feels that way at some point or another they are just unwilling to admit it. It takes more courage to admit you are sometimes a coward, than to pretend not to be afraid.
    Keep relying on God. Keep giving your fears, anxieties, even your desires to please other people, to the Lord.
    He remains faithful! =)

    This weekend is going to be tough, always glad to have you there brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just so thankful that you chose to be honest about yourself. I think through coming forth with this part of yourself, you'll find that you're not alone, and you'll also find compassion.

    You say that change has always been hard on you, and I agree that it probably always be hard. (I know it is hard for me, as well!) But God does desire to change us. And so we get the honor of making the choice of either being fearful or being obedient. Drew, you've had the courage to admit to carrying flaws, so I believe that you also have within you the courage to be obedient to God!

    I have been blessed with the opportunity to serve alongside you, my brother in Christ, and witness His awesome power at work in your life. Like April said, God is faithful!

    Here's a often used but still totally great promise... Jeremiah 29:11-14a, ""For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity.""

    I just want to encourage you to continue being honest in your walk and to use this as an opportunity for God to be your strength, your confidence, and your refuge. And remember that He has blessed you with brothers and sisters who truly love you, all the sides of you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I respect you for sharing yourself so deeply with your audience, Drew. It's not easy to admit something like this to openly. Like April said, most everyone goes through this at some point in their lives for different lengths of time. I too doubt myself a lot, causing me to be timid and not take chances, not allowing God to use me and change me. Of course, God still uses what he can, but most of the time, I've been too scared to fully surrender to him and put myself out there to be used.

    God can use you, specifically in your weakness, as Mandy K. stated. Honestly, I see God using you in so many people's lives right now, and I look forward to seeing how he will use you in the future. I believe you have the capability to surrender more and more to God as time goes on, day by day.

    You can't change yourself, Drew. You can only be willing to change and be broken enough to give things up and in turn, take on new things that God gives you. You can only OBEY.

    I think you're doing well, and I'm glad to know you and have you in my life. Thanks again for sharing this and if you want to talk more about it sometime, I'm here.

    ReplyDelete